Friday, April 5, 2013

fairy tale friday installment #11: the girl without hands



We have almost come to the end of the Fairy Tale series I have been making for FFWD, only one more after this!

This week's is The Girl Without Hands, a Grimm Brothers Fairy Tale I wasn't familiar with until someone suggested I read it. It's one of the craziest fairy tales, definitely give it a read. In the fairy tale this miller chops off his daughters hands in hopes of protecting her from the devil (which he owes him).

In my illustration I have portrayed the devil as a shadow puppet being cast by the dismembered hands, the devil is looking down upon the mill. The tattoos on the hands symbolize elements from the story, like the king and angel. This is one of my favorite fairy tales I've done during this series I think, it turned out well in print too, so pick up a copy of  FFWD this week.

Your song of the day is Two Small Deaths just because:

No comments:

Post a Comment